According to the National Center for Health Statistics, 39.6% of US adults age 20 and older were obese as of 2015-2016, resulting in 100,000 to 400,000 related deaths per year. In addition, upwards of $115 billion is spent in the US alone to treat weight-related ailments.
That being said, it is no surprise that industries related to diets, weight loss programs, and nutritional supplements are on the rise and are a multi-billion-dollar industry. Here we will focus on one aspect of the industry, protein powders for weight loss and inexpensive solutions to a growing problem.
Protein Powder And Weight Loss
Generally, when people think about weight loss, the first thing that pops into their heads is to cut caloric intake, start exercising and reduce portion size. Some mentally psych themselves up for a long painful ride. This doesn’t necessarily have to be the case.
Yes, exercise and caloric intake play an important role, however, increasing proteins can also play a big factor. Numerous studies have produced sound evidence that diets high in protein, can stimulate weight loss, without the reduction of calories. Perhaps a better way to put it is that high protein diets can reduce fat loss and in turn build lean muscle mass. Increasing muscle mass has the effect of burning fat, and in turn, improving overall health.
Benefits Of Protein Powders For Weight Loss
Protein powder can be mixed with your favorite drink and taken any time during the day. Most protein powders for weight loss are effective before and after exercise, or as a snack during the day.
- Full feeling
A positive side effect of drinking a protein shake or protein-based smoothie is that the feeling of being full stays with you for a long period of time, making the process of weight loss less painful than strict, rigid dieting. There are many great tasting smoothie recipes available that are delicious and flavorful.
- Reduced Hunger Cravings
Many diets end abruptly when the need to satisfy hunger cravings, becomes greater than the desire to lose weight. Obsession beats will power every time. Studies have shown that most protein powders have the effect of subduing hunger cravings, thus removing the willpower element and making the weight loss process less stressful.
- Calorie Burning Effect
The thermic effect of food relates to the amount of energy required to process food. A high intake of protein has proven to increase the thermic effect, and in turn burn more calories.
- Hormonal Change
On a more scientific level, ghrelin is a hormone in the body that is not spoken about much, however, it is responsible for creating hunger. Alternatively, GLP-1 and PYY are hormones that decrease appetite and reduce hunger cravings. Studies have shown that proteins have the effect of reducing ghrelin levels, increasing GLP-1 and PYY, resulting in weight loss.
The Top 7 Protein Powders For Weight Loss
- JYM Supplement Science Pro
JYM Supplement Science Pro is our #1 choice for best protein for weight loss, and based on scientific research, uses the optimal protein ratio of 50% casein protein, 40% whey protein, and 10% egg protein, to maximize muscle building and burning fat.
JYM calls this protein powder the triple threat, as it has a synergistic effect meaning that 1+1+1=4. Further, by creating a full feeling, it removes hunger cravings and satisfies the desire for sweets when used as a snack. Essentially, JYM delivers a steady stream of amino acids over longer periods of time- allowing you to remain anabolic longer, thus reducing the likelihood of becoming catabolic.
JYM Supplement Science Pro contains 24 grams of proteins in the proportions described above and is sweetened with cocoa powder, sucralose, and acesulfame potassium which aids in reducing the need for sweets.
JYM Supplement Science Pro has a 4.3 Star rating based on 514 verified customer reviews and is not only a great protein for weight loss but a fantastic muscle builder.
- Formulated with 3 proteins which allow for the greatest gains in lean mass as well as strength
- Each serving is packed with 24 grams of protein proportioned to optimize the effectiveness
- Provides a stream of amino acids reducing the possibility of becoming catabolic
- Can be used pre-workout, post-workout, or as a snack
- Some complaints that the sucralose sweetener is too sweet
- Combination of 3 different proteins may have an adverse effect on some stomachs
- Naked Nutrition Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder
Naked Nutrition Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder contains only one ingredient, whey protein isolate, which is derived from grass-fed cows located on farms in California which are clean and have not received rBGH hormones, rBST growth hormones, or genetically modified organisms.
Naked Nutrition is a great protein for weight loss and is created using a cold process meaning that the harmful acids and bleaches are not used, and the cellular structure of the protein is not compromised.
Each serving contains 25g of whey protein, 2 grams of sugar, 3 grams of carbohydrates, and only 120 calories, making it ideal for fat reduction. Additionally, 5.9 grams of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) have been added to improve the effectiveness of building lean muscle and controlling weight.
Naked Nutrition Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder has a 4.5 Star rating based on 1,376 customer reviews and ranks #2 on or list of best protein powders for weight loss.
- Very clean and pure as it is derived from cows free of rBGH, rBST, or GMO’s
- Entirely soy free, gluten-free, and contains no artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors
- Cold processed which protects the integrity of the protein
- 9 grams of BCAA’s have been added to increase effectiveness and efficiency
- It will not dissolve properly in a shaker cup and must be mixed in a blender
- High, pure protein content can cause bloating and gas
- Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein
Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein is an ideal protein for weight as the vanilla flavor contains only 110 calories, and the chocolate flavors contain only 130 calories per serving. Micellar protein is the counterpart of whey protein, and unlike whey, provides a very slow release of amino acids into the muscles preventing deterioration.
This Micellar Casein protein is marketed as a supplement that works while you sleep not only to aid in the repair and recovery of muscles but also to suppress the appetite. Like most of the protein powder products we review, Ascent Native Fuel uses all-natural ingredients and is one of the purest proteins on the market.
The product is sold in 2-pound bags, includes a scoop, and has 28 servings. Each serving packs a punch of 25 grams of Micellar Protein, 2 carbohydrates, 0 sugars, and a gram of fiber. In addition, it contains 11 grams of branch chain amino acids which aid in the muscle-building process.
Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein has a 4.4 Star rating based on 144 customer reviews and in our opinion is the best protein for weight loss which uses Micellar Casein protein.
- Slow-release properties of casein protein reduce the risk of muscle deterioration
- Has 5.9 grams of naturally occurring BCAA’s, an excellent source of amino acids
- With 2 grams of carbs, no sugars, and 1 gram of fiber, is an ideal protein for weight loss
- Casein allows the muscles to repair and recover while sleeping
- The texture is gritty and unappealing which is common with most casein protein powders
- Mixed feelings on the smell and taste of the protein powder
- FitMiss Delight Protein Powder
FitMiss Delight Protein Powder is marketed specifically to women as a vegetable-based protein for weight loss. In addition to, weight management, FitMiss Delight has proven to increase energy levels, build lean muscle mass, increase strength, control body composition, and support general health and wellness.
To reduce hunger cravings, FitMiss developed a specially formulated vegetable-based protein called SolaThin which creates a feeling of fullness. Further, it delivers the required daily amount of necessary nutrients, digestive enzymes, and high-quality calories to build muscle tissue, stimulate fat loss and increase overall energy.
The FitMiss Delight Protein Powder contains no gluten, is low in carbohydrates, but does include some dairy and soy products.
The FitMiss Delight – Women’s Complete Protein Shake, has a 4 Star rating based on 4,490 customer reviews, which is fabulous in the competitive environment of protein powders for weight loss.
- Reduces hunger cravings by creating a feeling of fullness
- Very high in vegetable-based protein and low in carbs
- A unique blend of fruits and vegetables delivers optimal levels of digestive enzymes, vitamins and minerals
- Facilitates weight loss and enhances lean muscle mass
- Soy and dairy products may not be suitable for some diets
- Complaints about the flavors not tasting as described in marketing materials
- Her Natural Whey Protein Powder For Weight Loss
Her Natural Whey Protein Powder For Weight Loss, with 20 grams of natural whey protein, only 110 calories, 3 grams of carbohydrates, and 2 grams of fat per serving, Her Natural Whey Protein is a perfect protein for weight loss which provides energy and helps in building muscle.
Her Natural Whey is geared toward women and uses a special blend of Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Peptides to optimize the effectiveness. A whey protein complex has proven to help you feel fuller and subdue appetite longer than its carbohydrate and fat counterparts.
Cows are grass-fed and are not subjected to recombinant bovine growth hormones (rBGH), or antibiotics. Additionally, Her Natural Whey Protein Powder is gluten-free and is sweetened with the ingredients naturally found in the leaves of the stevia plant.
Her Natural Whey Protein Powder has a 4.5 Star rating based on 515 verified customer reviews and ranks #5 on our list of best protein powders for weight loss.
- Whey protein blend increases lean muscle mass
- Weight loss is supported as Her Natural contains only 2 grams of fat & 3 carbs
- 5 grams of BCAA’s improve performance, endurance, and muscle mass
- All-natural with no additives or preservatives
- Some complaints that it did not curb appetite as the marketing literature stated
- May cause minor stomach issues like gas and bloating, and one concern abut a headache
- PlantFusion Lean Plant-Based Weight Loss Protein Powder
PlantFusion Lean Plant Based Weight Loss Protein Powder takes a unique approach to weight loss as it delivers what they term “Superfoods” through a hunger-reducing pea-based protein called Ecolean.
Most weight loss programs using protein supplements substantially reduce caloric intake and in turn essential nutrients, which leads to a lack of energy and frustration. PlantFusion on the other hand supplies nourishments which have the effect of curbing appetite while increasing energy.
Each serving contains 21 grams of protein, 170 calories, and a fantastic amino acid profile. PlantFusion Lean Plant-Based Protein powder does not contain dairy, soy, rice, gluten, eggs, nuts, fish, tree nuts, or shellfish, to make the formula as allergen-free as possible.
Unlike many of the competitive products which do not manufacture the products they sell, PlantFusion has their own US-based USDA Organic certified facility allowing them to ensure the highest standards throughout the entire process.
PlantFusion Lean Plant-Based Weight Loss Protein Powder has a 4 Star rating based on 143 customer reviews and is a well-respected all-natural plant-based protein for weight loss.
- Curbs hunger by using a pea protein which has proven to be 35% more effective than whey protein
- Natural prebiotic fiber in conjunction with chromium and banaba leaf control blood sugar by breaking down sugars and carbohydrates
- Special enzymes contribute to easy digestion
- Extremely pure and flavored with natural sweeteners
- Some concerns about the higher calorie count and found it did not curb hunger
- Some had stomach reactions resulting in gas
- Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein
Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein is, is a USDA-approved plant-based protein powder for women, which is specifically designed for weight loss. The 13 raw primary ingredients derived from US-based peas are produced at very low temperatures to protect the integrity of the amino acids which can be compromised at higher temperatures.
Each serving has only 110 calories, 22 grams of protein, no sugar, and is loaded with vitamins A, D, E and K. Further, this vegan protein powder has, 3 billion colony forming units of probiotics and additional enzymes to enhance digestion.
What sets Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein apart from other vegan protein powders for women is the inclusion of tried and tested ingredients such as Peas, Sprouted Grains, Seeds & Legumes. These ingredients have proven to aid in fat burning, managing blood sugar levels, increasing energy, and losing weight.
Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein has a 3.7 Star rating based on 4,061 verified customer reviews and is a good choice for women looking to lose weight.
- Contains 22 grams of protein, entirely sugar-free, derived from peas, and 13 raw vegetable
- 110 calorie smooth protein shake with 3 billion CFU probiotics and enzymes for easy digestion
- Vegan friendly containing no gluten, dairy, soy-free, or GMO’s
- Available in Vanilla, Chocolate, Vanilla Chai, and Unflavored
- Numerous complaints about a formula change in 2016 where pea protein was added
- The taste is unappealing to some
Summing It Up
The proteins for weight loss category is by far the most competitive in the protein powder industry, making our choice for the best protein powder for weight loss a very difficult decision. As seen above the winner is JYM Supplement Science Pro.
What we liked about this protein was the unique blend of whey, casein, and egg protein scientifically designed to maximize the effectiveness of the protein. In addition, is a well-known company in the supplement industry, and has a great reputation of delivering quality products.